My Son Sanctuary and Mountain Trekking – Pilgrimage
Travelers who love adventure have found the right experience to spend their day trekking in the wild.
My Son Sanctuary and Trekking combines both temples visiting with jungle hiking. The tour was inspired from the local myths as the way how ancient people have pilgrimaged from their royal palace through the difficult mountains to reach the sanctuary as the pilgrims believed the gods want to challenge them for potential blessings. Then, this tour will not only to bring travelers to the nature, or the sanctuary but also help visualize the ways that ancient people might have practiced their religion.
We have worked with local people to look for their support to bring this unique experience to all people who love nature. Then the experience also helps involve local people into tourism and it creates more opportunities to promote local lives.
Highlights of the experience:
- Exploring jungle with local people assistance
- Immersing the pristine beauty of the wild
- Enjoying the unique trekking trip near Hoi An
- Visiting a Unesco heritage
- Option 1:
This experience lasts from 6 to 7 hours with about 3.5 to 4 hours trek including time to rest and enjoy nature along the way, 2 hour driving (in total).
- 5:30 am: Pickup at hotels in Hoi An and transfer to the mountains where the trek starts. Along the way to the mountains is the scenery of beautiful peaceful rural villages, water ponds, rice paddies, buffalos,… This would already cheer travelers who love the authentic countryside of Vietnam. Our guide and driver would prepare banh mi as breakfast to help charge some energy.
- 6:30 am: The trek starts when our local guide leads you through the jungle from one to another side of the mountain. Soon you will get to a high point where you could spot down the entire valley and a water dam down the mountains. The trek only continues when the guide makes sure that you have some time to rest and have taken most stunning panoramic photos of the spot. The guide then takes you further through the wild when the beautiful nature keeps exposing its verdance and small wild animals like: squirrels, lizards, roosters, butterflies, insects,… The trek then takes you to another high peak where you will spot some ancient ruins of a lost civilization which guests can visit later. After a 2 hour trek (about half way), we would stop by a wide view open area to make the BBQ. The delicious skewers delight hungry tummies as energy runs out from the walk. After the BBQ time, the guide and guests hop back on their trek way along the steady terrain before reaching lower areas. Soon the villages at the otherside of the mountains appear closer as you could contemplate. We then see a natural well which has pure fresh water. It has been called “the fairy well” for many hundreds of years by local people and has provided juicy fresh water to people who make their livelihood in the jungle. Also, according to the legend it was where ancient people collected the holy water for ceremonies.
Between 11:00 – 12:00: Once guests finish their trek, the guide takes them to his house which is just by the mountain foot and offers some tea before other parts of the tour are arranged.
Guests can buy the entrance ticket to visit the ancient ruins or get rest before being driven back to Hoi An.
Guests will be back at hotels at around 13:00/14:00.
- Option 2: This option lasts about 6 hours, including a 5 km trek with time for rest and BBQ.This option also visualizes the way pilgrims travel to the temple complex in the old days (according to the local legends).
The second option has a similar itinerary with the first one. The only difference is that guests start from the otherside of the mountains and arrive at the ancient monuments at the end of the trek. BBQ is set by a little stream after a 3 hour trek. Along the way, guests would stop by the ancient “fairy well” to collect some holy water in a bottle and pour it on the altar to pray once we have arrived at the temples. This trek visualizes the proper way how the pilgrims offered pure water and other offerings to gods.
This option requires guests to buy an entrance ticket of the ancient ruins before starting the trek as you will enter the complex once you finish the trek from the back way. Once arriving at the monuments, guests would visit and take pictures of the ancient temples with an experienced English speaking guide.
After exploring the ancient sanctuary, guests would be arranged with the transfer back to hotels in Hoi An. Tour ends at around 14:00.
# Taking the experience, guests must agree with the tour operator that we would base on the dominant picks from guests, weather’s and operational conditions to decide the option.
# In case, there won’t be enough guests, a solo traveler can pay a further half price to operate a private tour (operational condition considered by the tour operator).
Booking is received through hotel reception with guests’ information: names and room number, phone number
Guests should be ready at pickup appointment time
Guests are advised to prepare trekking gears and long sleeve clothes (cover).
- The experience only allows kids from 10 years old.
- From 10 to 13 years old: 70 percent of adult cost.
All cancellation from guest arise additional charges as follows:
- – More than 48 hours before departure: No charges
- – From 48 hours to 24 hours before departure: 50% of the tour price.
- – Less than 24 hours before departure or No show: 100% of the tour price.
Hotline/WhatsApp/Viber: +84766665199 (Thao)
TripAdvisor: + Hoi An Local Tours – Unique Experiences
+ My Son Sanctuary Tours with Locals (Certificate of Excellence)*
• Modern vehicles (car, van), free hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Knowledgeable English speaking guide (for My Son Temples)
- Coffee, breakfast, a set ò BBQ and branded bottled water
Entrance ticket, personal expenses, tips for guide and driver